About the Program
Given a deep grounding in the history, theory and methods of American Studies and the public humanities, students in the American Studies, Public Humanities program of Rutgers University will work with local and state organizations on public projects, adding praxis to their theory. Required non-profit management courses (and workshops) will train students in essential management skills.Beyond content knowledge, the Public Humanities MA would emphasize four core skills in students.
- Communication—ability to communicate to a variety of audiences using media appropriate for reaching those audiences;
- Collaboration—ability to work productively with others to complete tasks and to facilitate conversation amongst interests;
- Digital literacy—ability to critically evaluate digital technologies and be able to use specific technologies to engage the public;
- Self-direction—ability to master new information and skills independently.
- American Studies
- Public Humanities
- Public History
- Nonprofit Management
- Nonprofit Budgeting
- Digital Public Humanities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History American Studies View 84 other Masters in American Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Personal statement (your personal statement should be no more than 1500 words describing your interest in the public humanities, including and especially any personal or professional experience in the field)
- Writing or Work Sample
- Applicants must submit an academic or professional writing sample up to 6,000 words long, or, for those with professional experience in public history or the public humanities, a work sample (such as an exhibit plan, program planning materials, websites, etc) accompanied by a brief cover letter that explains the applicants role in its creation
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
International30888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15444 USD per semester during 12 months.
National30888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15444 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18168 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9084 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Newark
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.