The Business Economics programme offers a thorough training in all domains of an organisation with attention to how this organisation is embedded in society. Attention is paid to the development of corporate strategies and the management of functional domains (marketing, finance, accounting, production and logistics, innovation, personnel and organisation) .
By combining the initial specialisation in the bachelor's programme with the same or different specialisation in the master's programme, students achieve a differentiated profile that includes in-depth specialised skills.
The programme equips you for entrepreneurship and start-up management, as well as strategic decision making in established leading economic organisations.
Students choose a major (24 ECTS), a minor (12 ECTS) and complete their trajectory with a course of choice (3 ECTS). The Master’s Thesis (15 ECTS) is written in the domain of the major.
- The compulsory programme aims to lend the students insight into the strategic consequences of certain decisions.
- The major lends depth in a sufficiently broadly defined functional area, which trains the student for a management position with a wide variety of tasks within this area.
- The minor allows the student to choose between a further deepening of the area discussed in the major, or a broadening in other areas/disciplines.
The major is the specialization domain of the student and may differ from the specialisation of the bachelor, allowing students to fine-tune their personal graduation profile towards a highly specialised- or versatile profile.
- A big variety of choice in majors allows you to specialise your domains of choice, where you can demonstrate and further develop your already acquired knowledge, insights and attitudes towards your professional disciplinary future self.
- International experience: We encourage you to study abroad at one of the faculty’s exclusive partner universities, after completing two semesters in Leuven in the form of an Extended Master as part of the Erasmus+ programme. Increasingly, employers value young professionals who are familiar with doing business in a multicultural and multilingual setting. The faculty keeps up a strong international focus with a flourishing participation of students in summer schools and exchange programmes, making your experience truly international. More information on the various international experiences the faculty has to offer can be found on the website of the international office.
- A degree in Business Economics guarantees an interesting and challenging position in the management of companies. A business economist can be deployed in various environments, from the smallest SME to the largest multinational. Graduates may even state that in our modern society few organisations can function without managers with a Business Economics education.
Building on previously acquired general economic knowledge and insights in business, the student is taught to judge complex business structures and propose creative solutions independently or in a team. He develops the skills to take on a management function in a company, he learns to fit decisions in with the whole structure of a company and assess strategic consequences for other departments of the company. He has a lot of specialised knowledge, but is also very versatile.
Graduates generally take up managerial and/or research positions in business, national and international institutions, and in managerial functions at universities.
Given the variety of skills acquired, you will be highly sought-after by a wide range of companies from small firms to multinational corporations. You can pursue a career as auditor, entrepreneur, consultant, financial analyst, financial manager, project manager, marketeer, sales manager or stockbroker.Questions about student life in Belgium, life at KU Leuven or more information about a specific course? Chat with our students: www.kuleuven/be/chatwithourstudents.
- Strategic Management
- International Business, Strategy and Innovation
- Financial Economics
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Strategy and Innovation
- International Business
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Business Research
- Production and Logistics
- Informatics for Business Economics
- Personnel and Organization
- Projects and summer schools
- Courses from majors and minors
- Language course
To start this programme, students need a solid background in economics or business economics. They should have acquired the basic conceptual frameworks of diverse areas in business economics and have a sufficiently broad view on the general economic and social contexts in which business operates as well as on the human networks within these organisations.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesEconomics Business Administration View 21 other Masters in Economics in Belgium
- Applicants should hold a university Bachelor's degree in Economics or Business Economics comparable to a Bachelor's degree in Economics.
- Applicants should have a solid background in macroeconomics, microeconomics, mathematics, statistics and management.
- Applicants must prove their English language proficiency. The minimum score for IELTS is 7, for the TOEFL internet based test it is 94. The minimal sub-scores are 20 out of 30 for the TOEFL results and 6.0 for the IELTS results.
- A GMAT/GRE -test result above the 75th percentile on the quantitative part is to be included in the application.
International3500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3500 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA938 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 938 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.