- Research on language has proven to be one of the most fruitful means to cast light on the nature of human cognition. Building on recent developments in the field, the Linguistics program at University of Maryland trains students to pursue and answer research questions about language as a component of the mind. How do particular languages reflect general properties of our linguistic capacity? How is this capacity instantiated in the mind, as a computational, psychological or neurological system? How does it reflect properties which are encoded genetically, and how does it support the acquisition of languages by young children? And how can linguistic knowledge be used to improve human language technology?
- Under exceptional circumstances, students are awarded an MA degree on completion of the core coursework requirements (six courses, see PhD requirements), four further classes, and writing either an MA thesis which is defended publicly (LING799) or two comprehensive papers in different areas of language study (LING798). Two of the post core-level class requirements should be taken in the Department of Linguistics, with the rest being taken either in Linguistics or in other departments satisfying a secondary area of specialization and complementing the student's work. Note that the Department of Linguistics does not normally admit students whose objective is a terminal M.A. degree. The M.A. degree primarily serves students who withdraw from the Ph.D. program.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiterature Linguistics View 632 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Supplementary Application
- Writing Sample: Up to 3 sample submissions, uploaded to the Upload Requirements section of the application.
International51180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1706 USD per credit during 12 months.
National51180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1706 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State23040 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 768 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for College Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.