This Textile Design MA course offered by the University of Southampton is suitable if you’re a recent graduate or if you want to refocus your career. Whether your interests are in textiles for fashion, interior design or as a medium for art pieces, you’ll develop your skills and apply them to a range of textile media.
Employability is key throughout this UK Textile Design master’s degree. You’ll graduate with a portfolio that demonstrates your talents and accomplishments, as well as industry knowledge.
You’ll have extensive industry exposure including:
- guest lectures and live project briefs
- visits to trade events and selling your work at pop-up events
- designing pieces for external public events and opportunities to showcase your work
- internship opportunities with leading fashion and textile companies
- access to lectures and conferences run by renowned research and special interest groups, such as the Winchester Luxury Research Group, In The Loop and the Fashion and Sustainability Forum
A supportive and personalised approach to learning; staff will get to know your individual strengths and help you achieve your potential. You’ll also be co-located with MA Fashion Design students in a creative studio atmosphere where you can share ideas and draw inspiration from one another’s work.
The facilities and equipment you’ll use are outstanding. They include:
- a Mimaki digital printer, heat-transfer printing and large hand screen-printing tables with adjoining screen exposing rooms and dye labs
- computerised Shima Seiki knitting machines across three gauges, a variety of single and doublebed Dubied knitting machines, linkers and manual knitting machines
- a state-of-the-art jacquard loom, a variety of computerised AVL dobby looms, and manual table looms
- the WSA library, with comprehensive collections of textiles books, journals and magazines as well as a wide range of other arts-related materials
Graduates have gone on to pursue a broad variety of careers such as; designing for textile design agencies, becoming in-house designers for design houses or suppliers, or greeting card design. Past students have also set up their own design labels, have become design tutors or continued their studies at PhD level.
- Professional and Academic Skills (Practice)
- Textile Design
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
- Digital Cultures
- Experimental Publishing
- Exploring the Visual Language of Display
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Fashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods View 587 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:2 degree or an equivalent qualification, in a relevant subject. You’ll also need a portfolio which will be the determining factor for entry.
International21000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £21,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.