At the Linguistics MA programme offered at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, you will learn to analyse the learnability of languages, describe languages and even combine language with artificial intelligence.
During the Master's programme in Linguistics, you will learn to analyse how languages relate to one another. This skill allows you to describe relatively unknown languages. You will also examine which aspects of better-known languages are easy or difficult to learn. The programme focuses on different target groups such as children with dyslexia and multilingual adults, as well as computers that need to learn a human language.
When you successfully complete the Master's programme in Linguistics, you will have analytical and research skills in the area of language and language systems. In addition to these common skills, you will possess specific skills for your specialisation.
- Articulatory Phonetics and Typology of Sounds
- Linguistic Research
- Describing Morphosyntax
- Field Methods and Linguistic Analysis
- Anthropological Linguistics: An Overview
- Phonological Analysis and Typology
- Comparative Linguistics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 41 other Masters in Linguistics in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission is based on a strict selection procedure. The Faculty’s Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application. In order to gain admission to one of our Master’s programmes, you will need to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited research university including at least three full years of academic study amounting to a minimum of 180 ECTS or equivalent.
- If you are applying for one of our English-taught Master's degree programmes you will have to demonstrate sufficient English language proficiency by submitting English test results.
International16830 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16830 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.