What you will study
This Classics and Ancient Civilizations MA programme is offered jointly by the University of Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam – combining their expertise in Archaeology, Ancient History and Classics in the Amsterdam Centre for Ancient Studies and Archaeology (ACASA).
The Master’s in Classics and Ancient Civilizations gives you a world-class, interdisciplinary education in the ancient world. If you specialise in Classics, you’ll receive excellent training in classical linguistics, grounded in intertextual and narratological approaches to classical literature, while familiarising you with post-classical Greek and Latin. If you specialise in Ancient Studies, you’ll gain an in-depth understanding of the social, cultural and religious history of Ancient Greece, Rome and the Near East.
Enter the workforce
A Master’s degree in Classics and Ancient Civilizations gives you three main options.
Start workingYou can start working, using your in-depth knowledge and academic skills, in areas like arts management, commercial research, or the broader cultural sector – including museums, archives, journalism, publishing and cultural tourism.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Story vs History: Alexander the Great
- Religion and Society: Lived Religion in Greece and the Near East (7th to 4th cent. BCE)
- The Ancient World & Modern Theory: Memory and Forgetting
- Master Seminar Akkadian
- Research Project 2: Towards a New Loeb Edition of Valerius Flaccus’ Argonautica
- Research Project 2: Visualizing Troy through the Ages
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ancient History General Studies & Classics View 33 other Masters in Ancient History in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The admission requirements are:
- For the specialization Classics, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in Classics from an accredited university;
- For the specialization Ancient Studies, you must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and must have taken academic courses equivalent to at least one full-time semester of academic studies (30 EC) in Classics, Ancient Studies, Archaeology or History (with demonstrable relationship to Ancient Studies).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.