In this MA Linguistics with a specialisation in Phonology offered by University College London (UCL), students will use typological comparison, data collection, experimental methods, or modelling techniques and will receive extensive training in research methods and the scholarly presentation of ideas.
Students gain knowledge and understanding of current research in phonology and are prepared for independent research.
On completion of the programme, they will be able to formulate appropriate research questions, find and evaluate relevant literature, develop and test new hypotheses, and produce cogent, structured and professionally presented reports.
Although the degree can be an end in itself, this advanced programme is an excellent preparation for independent doctoral research in phonology.
Graduates from our specialised Master's programmes in linguistics have a very strong track record of securing funded doctoral studentships and have in recent years gone on to research at UCL, MIT, Cambridge, University of Massachusetts in Amherst, and the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona.
- Intermediate Phonetics and Phonology
- Advanced Phonology Theory
- In addition, and in consultation with the programme director, students choose two further modules from a range of options (NB options offered may change year on year):
- Phonetic Theory
- Studies in Syntax
- Phonology of Engish
- Intermediate Generative Grammar: Locality
- Current Issues in Syntax
- Readings in Syntax
- Second Language Speech Learning
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 370 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
- Normally a minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard is required.
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12900 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £6,450
- International: £12,000
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.