The Legal and Political Theory programme from University College London (UCL), drawing on three areas of excellence at UCL, is a unique mix of politics, law and philosophy, centred on the normative evaluation of public policy at both the domestic and international levels.
The programme explores the moral quality of the decisions citizens and professionals take, and the justice of the legal and political structures within which they operate. Students develop the ability to analyse important modern political theories, and justify their position on issues concerning the relationship between politics, law and society.
This MA provides an excellent foundation for further research in political theory, or a wide variety of careers in this field.
Students of the Legal and Political Theory MA acquire advanced analytical transferable skills and exposure to cutting-edge legal and philosophical work - problem-solving, logical skills - combined with deep understanding of challenges of the contemporary world. As a result our students have an excellent record of employability in leading professions - law, consultancy, politics, journalism and academic careers.
- Meanings of Liberty: Applied Methods in Political Theory
- Seminars in Political Theory, Colloquium in Legal Philosophy and Peer Assisted Learning Sessions
- Contemporary Political Philosophy I: Authority, Obligation & Democracy
- Contemporary Political Philosophy II: Social Justice and Equality
- Equality, Justice and Difference
- Global Ethics
- Jeremy Bentham and the Utilitarian Tradition
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy Legal Studies Political Science View 136 other Masters in Environmental Economics & Policy in United Kingdom
- As a minimum, an upper second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university in political theory or a related discipline; or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard. Relevant practical or work experience in a related field may also be taken into account.
International26600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National16500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £8,250
- International: £13,300
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.