The Education (Geography) course from University College London (UCL) aims to engage students in deep critical thought about geography education with a view to improving the quality of the geography curriculum experience for young people and to view geography as a resource with unique educational potential.
The course encourages students to examine critical debates in geography and ask what value these have for schools.The programme consists of three compulsory modules (30 credits each), and a choice between one optional module (30 credits) and either a Dissertation with Integrated Research Methods or a Dissertation (60 credits), OR two optional modules (30 credits each) and a Report with Integrated Research Methods (30 credits).
Teaching and learning
The programme is delivered via online learning, with optional face-to-face sessions or equivalent online sessions. It is assessed by coursework assignments of up to 5,000 words and a 19-20,000 word dissertation or a 10,000 word report.
Graduates of the programme are currently working across a broad range of areas. Some are working as teachers, heads of humanities, heads of geography and senior managers in primary and secodary schools while others have jobs as policy-makers and education consultants. Graduates can also be found working as geography teacher training tutors and PhD students.
- Transforming the Geography Curriculum
- What is Education?
- Understanding Research
- Critical Perspectives on Teaching and Learning
- Assessment for Learning
- Design and Use of Technologies for Education
- Education, Ethics and Imagination in a Globalising World
- Curriculum, Policy and Practice
- Sociology of Education
- Philosophy of Education: Values, Aims and Society
- Assessment: Issues and Practice
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it is full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesEducation Geography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 129 other Masters in Geography in United Kingdom
- Normally a minimum of a second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard is required.
International26600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10800 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK: £5,400
- International: £13,300
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.