The program is delivered in blended mode, utilising online, interactive teaching and learning activities coupled with a block of on-campus learning each session. Expert guest lecturers participate throughout the course, ensuring relevance and real-world application of coursework. On-campus learning takes place in the Graduate School of Health's education and research facility at UTS City campus.
Alongside the coursework, students participate in clinical placements, sourced by UTS, throughout the two-year program. Placements are offered in a variety of settings in Australia and may include the option of an approved international placement for interested students. Placements are supported by weekly reflective practice supervision. Students undertake research training to equip them with the skills to provide evidence-based care, talk with clients about research participation and findings and seek opportunities for higher degree research in the future.
The Master of Genetic Counselling at the University of Technology Sydney prepares graduates to work as competent, evidence-based genetic counsellors. Graduates are prepared to work in both the public and private system, and in new and emerging positions in laboratories, biotech companies, research and education.
Genetic counsellors have specialist knowledge in human genetics and genomics, counselling and health communication. With rapid developments in genetics and genomics, there is likely to be a range of new opportunities for genetic counsellors in the coming years. Career options include clinical roles in public and private settings, research, education, policy, and laboratory and biotech company genetic counselling roles.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Communication and Counselling
- Medical Genetics and Genomics in Practice
- Research Methods in Genetic Counselling
- Clinical and Community Placement
- Genetic Counselling
- Research Project
- Research Issues in Genetic Counselling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCounselling View 42 other Masters in Counselling in Australia
Applicants must have completed a UTS recognised bachelor's degree, or an equivalent or higher qualification, or submitted other evidence of general and professional qualifications that demonstrates potential to pursue graduate studies.
Applicants must have completed either:
- an undergraduate degree in a cognate discipline such as science, biomedical science, health science, social work, psychology, medicine, or related discipline, or
- an undergraduate degree in any discipline and documented relevant work experience including clear evidence of career development, professional writing, and professional achievement or practice comparable to that expected of undergraduate degree holders in cognate disciplines.
In addition to one of the above, applicants must have also completed the following subjects at a tertiary level within the last 10 years and must provide relevant subject outlines with their application:
- one biology subject (to first-year undergraduate level)
- one human genetics subject (to second- or third-year undergraduate level, or equivalent).
- acquire a Working With Children Check and an Australian National Police Check
- complete a series of NSW Health forms including a Code of Conduct, and
- demonstrate evidence of protection against a number of specified infectious diseases.
International50070 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25035 AUD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- Australia Awards Scholarships (Australian Government Scholarships)
- Dr Chau Chak Wing Scholarship (KTP Master Degree)
- International Postgraduate Coursework Full Tuition Scholarship
- LATAM International Postgraduate Coursework Scholarship
- Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship
- UTS 30th Anniversary Study Abroad Accommodation Scholarship
- UTS ATN-LATAM Scholarships
- UTS Grant for Masters by Coursework Students
- UTS Nepal Scholarship (Postgraduate Coursework)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.