The MSc in Ancient Worlds (Archaeology and Classics) (Online Learning) from The University of Edinburgh has been developed specifically for students who wish to further their study in Archaeology, Classics or a combination of both. It brings researchers together to exchange ideas and to offer a range of thematic, as well as regionally specific courses.
Our highly experienced staff, with a wide range of specialisms and expertise, will help you choose a relevant subject for your dissertation, and enhance your skills in independent research and critical analysis.
The programme is structured to enable you to fit your studies around other commitments, develop your own specialised interests, whilst having the flexibility to study in a way that works for you.
Our students view a graduate degree from Edinburgh as an advanced qualification valued and respected by many employers, others are interested in pursuing long-term academic careers and therefore consider the MSc as preparation for postgraduate study at PhD level.
You will have the opportunity to gain a range of practical skills and academic experience, in a variety of contexts.
Examples of career paths could include: academic research, various roles in the heritage, travel or tourism sectors.
You may develop your own career pathway in unusual ways or branch into related or different fields, while maintaining a lifelong interest in archaeology and the ancient world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Skills for Archaeology and Classics
- Athenian democracy and modern preoccupations
- Ancient Egyptian Religion and the Afterlife
- Running the Roman Empire
We are developing courses exploring many aspects of the Ancient World. The courses we are hoping to run include:
- Late Hunter-Gatherers in Europe
- Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
If you are applying for funding we strongly recommend you apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesArchaeology History Ancient History View 105 other Masters in Ancient History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or other international equivalent, in a subject related to this programme.
- It is not necessary that your first degree is in Archaeology or Classics or a related area, however, previous study in these subjects at honours or 'upper undergraduate' level is strongly advised. You may need to enrol on a feeder course if you do not have experience.
- Relevant experience, or professional or other qualifications will also be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA14600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14600 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Fees are for the 2 year part-time programme.
- School of History, Classics & Archaeology Masters Scholarships
- Online Learning Scholarships
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.