Composers learn through experiential opportunities, including composing for fellow student performers leading to performances of their works in venues on campus and off. Project-based experiences include working with the Visiting Quartet Residency program and creating new works for student string quartets.
Students develop advanced skills such as orchestration, electronic studio techniques, film and video scoring, and jazz composition in the Music Composition MM program from Arizona State University. Collaboration with music scholars, theorists, performers, educators and other composers under the guidance of renowned composition faculty provides students with a broad and well-rounded foundation for advanced careers in music.
The School of Music, Dance and Theatre graduate programs inspire and empower students to become creative leaders who transform society through music.
Musicians with expertise in performing, composing, teaching, researching and arts advocacy are in high demand across many sectors and industries, including performing arts organizations, educational institutions, entertainment companies, health and wellness industries and community arts organizations. Skills such as creativity, collaboration, innovation, entrepreneurship and the focused discipline needed for success as musicians are all highly valued by a wide range of companies and professions.
Career examples include:
- arts administrator
- community arts advocate
- composer for film, video games, or television
- performing musician
- public or community school teacher
- university professor
- Instrumental Ensembles
- Choral Ensembles
- Concert Winds
- Choral Union
- Music and Film
- Music History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History Liberal Arts View 813 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree from an institution in another country that is officially recognized by that country.
- Applicants must have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of their first bachelor's degree program.
- graduate admission application and application fee
- School of Music, Dance and Theatre application (including a resume and personal statement)
- official transcripts
- prescreening portfolio
- three letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.