This uniqueness was augmented in 1990 by the addition of a PhD program, also in Applied Philosophy, which remains the only one of its kind.
This is not to say that only Applied Philosophy is taught here. A graduate student at Bowling Green State University will receive a well-rounded education in all of the traditional areas of philosophy as well.
What Distinguishes Bowling Green's Graduate Program?
- A history of innovation in the development of programs in applied philosophy
- A faculty with extra-philosophical interests and backgrounds, e.g., economics, political science, law, business, medicine, the environment, religion, the arts, biology, and cognitive sciences
- A willingness to encourage students to pursue cross-disciplinary interests (More below)
- A large concentration of faculty with specialization in moral and political philosophy
- An atmosphere of collegiality that encourages dialogue among faculty and students
- An established program of annual workshops or conferences and a lively colloquium series.
- The possibility of internships which encourage first-hand investigation of the real-life situations that engender
- The department encourages graduate students to undertake cross-disciplinary studies whenever courses in other departments and programs bear on their research. The Department has curricular ties of one kind or another to several departments and cross-disciplinary programs.
- A variety of topics in applied ethics can better be understood if the theoretical approaches and empirical results of other disciplines are taken into account. Students working in environmental ethics might benefit from studying related issues in courses in environmental policy, for example. Students in medical ethics might want to take courses in public health. Courses in Women's Studies are relevant to work in many areas of moral philosophy.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 286 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- application fee (submitted with application)
- two official transcripts from each college or university attended
- results of Graduate Record Exam Aptitude Test
- (scores over 5 years old not acceptable)
- results of Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- (International students only)
- statement outlining reasons for wanting to undertake graduate studies in philosophy at Bowling Green State University
- sample of philosophical writing (English only)
- three letters of recommendation
International10119 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10119 USD per year during 12 months.
National10119 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10119 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State6124 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6124 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bowling Green
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.