After completing two semesters of course work, the Food Science (MFS) program from University of British Columbia culminates with a summer practicum in which the students get hands-on experience, working on a project in an industry or government setting. Throughout the years students have helped local, national and international food sectors to solve problems and provide advances in food safety, risk assessment, product development, sensory analysis and process validation studies.
What makes the program unique?
MFS program is the only program in Canada to offer a one-year, non-thesis Master of Food Science degree. The program is unique in combining graduate level courses with a high quality practicum experience.
Every year a number of practicum sites either hire or extend their student’s contract. Although not all practicums result in an offer for post-graduation employment, some employers use their professional networks to refer graduates to their colleagues within the food sector.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- International Food Laws and Regulations
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) and Food Safety Management
- Master of Food Science Workshops
- Advances in Food Science
- Fundamentals of Agri-Food Business
- Advances in Food Analysis
- Advances in Food Biotechnology
- Advances in Food Chemistry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Food Sciences Biochemistry View 71 other Masters in Chemistry in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Applicants should apply without contacting individual faculty members prior to the application. Identification of potential faculty members in the application form is optional. Faculty members will review applications of applicants they are interested in and get in touch as part of the applicant evaluation.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International39305 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39305 CAD per year during 12 months.
National12936 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12936 CAD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.