Philosophy, science and religion are three endeavours that shape in far-reaching and fundamental ways how we think, what we value, and how we live. Public discourse, professional life, politics and culture revolve around the philosophical, scientific and religious ideas of our age; yet they and their relationship to each other are not well understood.
Students will be brought up to date with the relevant scientific developments – including quantum mechanics, relativity, cosmology, evolutionary biology, neuroscience, and human origins – the relevant theological issues – including the problem of evil, miracles, theological conceptions of creation, theological conceptions of providence, and eschatology – and the philosophical tools in philosophy of science, metaphysics, epistemology, and philosophy of language required to understand the relationship between them.
Students will develop logical acumen and analytical skills, and the ability to express themselves clearly in writing and in conversation with diverse groups of students from around the world. As well as being a leading research institution in philosophy, theology and the sciences, Edinburgh has lead the way in providing high quality, bespoke and intensive online learning at postgraduate level.
The innovative online format of the programme and the flexibility of study it offers make it accessible to those with family or professional commitments, or who live far from Edinburgh.
The Philosophy, Science and Religion (Online Learning) program offered by The University of Edinburgh is designed to give you a rigorous grounding in contemporary work in the intersection of philosophy, science and religion.
This course is designed to prepare you for doctoral work in relevant areas of philosophy and/or theology.
However, the skills of analytical but creative thinking, clear writing, and the abilities to manage projects that require significant research and to engage in constructive conversations across disciplinary and cultural boundaries, are all highly sought after by employers in a diverse range of fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- You will take options from a wide range of courses offered by the Department of Philosophy and the School of Divinity both jointly and individually, and will be required to write a dissertation.
- All students will be required to take two core courses: Philosophy, Science and Religion 1: The Physical World; and Philosophy, Science and Religion 2: Life and Mind.
- Courses will include online lectures, tutorials, quizzes, discussion sessions and personal tutor contact.
- At the dissertation stage, you will be assigned a supervisor with whom you will meet, through video conferencing, to plan and discuss your research and writing.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- No Attendance
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology View 28 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent in a relevant natural science (e.g. biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, mathematics) or relevant humanities subject (e.g. theology, religious studies, philosophy).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National19100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19100 GBP per year during 12 months.
- MSc PT intermittent study: 20 credits £2,015; 60 credits £6,035
- PgDip, PgCert PT intermittent study: 20 credits £2,015
- PgDip FT fees: £12,735
UK government postgraduate loans
If you live in the UK, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan from one of the UK’s governments. The type and amount of financial support you are eligible for will depend on your programme, the duration of your studies, and your residency status.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.