We were the first in the UK to offer a programme in applied linguistics, so you will benefit from a long-established tradition of teaching in this area, much of which is delivered by world-leading experts.
The programme in Applied Linguistics from The University of Edinburgh offers a linguistic perspective on real-world problems of language in use, with relevance to a wide range of professional interests. You will explore how language is used in a variety of social settings, compare language variability with social diversity and examine how knowledge about language as it is actually used can impact on people’s lives.
Unlike other programmes in Applied Linguistics, one topic that we do not concentrate on is teaching pedagogy.
This programme has been designed to help progress your career as a linguist in academia or as a language and communication expert in a variety of industries.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Sociolinguistic Research Design
- Introduction to Discourse Analysis
- Issues in Applied Linguistics
- Introduction to Language Research
- Special Topics in Sociolinguistics
- Applied Linguistics & Language Teaching
- Language and Identity in Bilingual Settings
- Discourse Studies
- Second Language Acquisition
- Introduction to Phonology and Phonetics
- Global Englishes
- Introduction to Syntax
- Language Variation and Change
- Introduction to Phonology
- Introduction to Semantics and Pragmatics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- There are 3 admission rounds.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 476 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in linguistics. We may also consider students without a linguistics degree if you if you have substantial practical experience as a language professional.
- Entry to this programme is extremely competitive.
International23950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA11300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11300 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU: £5,650
- Overseas/International: £11,975
UK government postgraduate loans
If you live in the UK, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan from one of the UK’s governments. The type and amount of financial support you are eligible for will depend on your programme, the duration of your studies, and your residency status.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.