In the Applied Linguistics from The University of Edinburgh, we draw on knowledge about language, how it works and how it is used in order to contribute to real life issues.
- examine language use in a variety of social settings (e.g. language use in everyday conversation, in educational settings, in medical settings etc.)
- focus on language variability (e.g. bilingualism, accents, dialects, etc.) versus social diversity (e.g. gender, class, ethnicity etc.)
- consider how knowledge about language as it is actually used in real social settings can (be made to) impact on people's lives
Key research areas
This programme will help you gain intellectual and practical skills to engage in applied linguistics research, either for its own sake, or as part of cross-disciplinary research.
This highly flexible MSc draws on the University of Edinburgh’s unparalleled research expertise in Linguistics. Linguistics and English Language at Edinburgh has access to a wide breadth of research themes, with the greatest theoretical depth that you will find anywhere. This programme gives you the flexibility to choose courses and research topics to suit your academic interests and goals.
The department has multiple overlapping research groups, covering everything from meaning and grammar to language evolution. This programme is unique in allowing you freedom to draw on these resources.
Linguistics & English Language is rated 3rd in the UK by Times Higher Education for the quality and breadth of the research using the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021).
What will I learn
- explore how language is used in a variety of social situations - for example, language use in everyday conversation, or in educational settings
- compare language variability - for example, bilingualism, accents, dialects - with social diversity such as gender, class, or ethnicity
- examine how knowledge and uses of language can impact people’s lives
You can also take advantage of the interdisciplinary department and draw on teaching and research both elsewhere in the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences and within other relevant Schools.
This is the ideal programme for deepening your involvement in linguistics, giving you a grounding in further study (PhD), or developing an academic career in linguistics.
The programmes also teaches a broad range of transferable skills applicable to a wide range of modern jobs, such as:
- Marketing, communications, and PR
- Speech synthesis (e.g., Amazon, Google)
- Interpreting and translation
- Sociolinguistic Research Design
- Issues in Applied Linguistics
- Applied Linguistics & Language Teaching
- Discourse Analysis
- Guided Research in Linguistics and English Language
- Online experiments for language scientists
- Statistics and Quantitative methods
- Language Variation and Change
- Bilingual Interaction
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
There are 3 application rounds.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 347 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Edinburgh and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in linguistics. We may also consider students without a linguistics degree if you if you have substantial practical experience as a language professional.
- Entry to this programme is extremely competitive.
International28200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home - £6,500
- International/EU - £14,100
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
There are a number of highly competitive scholarships and funding options available to MSc students.
Deadlines for funding applications vary for each funding source - please make sure to check the specific deadlines for the funding opportunities you wish to apply for and make sure that you submit your application in good time.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Applied Linguistics.
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.