This unique Marine and Antarctic Science program from University of Tasmania combines marine science with a focus on the southern ocean and Antarctica. You’ll have access to industry-leading facilities at the Institute for Marine & Antarctic Studies (IMAS) and internationally recognised experts to help you kick-start your career.
The Graduate Diploma of Marine and Antarctic Science provides:
- Practical skills alongside theoretical studies to broaden your experience and give you the edge when it comes to employment
- More than lectures, labs and tutorials with study trip units that take learning to the Southern Ocean and into Australia's largest fisheries, aquaculture and seafood industries
- Contacts, work experience and research links in Australia's largest fisheries and aquaculture industries (based in Tasmania)
- Access to our international partner organisations and internationally recognised marine science organisations based in Tasmania
The University's Institute of Marine and Antarctic Science (IMAS) provides our students with access to some of the world's leading research facilities giving you the best career foundation.
With an annual value to Australia of approximately $40 billion and growing, graduates from the University of Tasmania are highly sought-after in a range of fields. The commercial fishing and aquaculture industry directly employs 7000 people in Australia and Tasmania is the country's largest commercial operator in this area.
We have graduates working across the world in a variety of positions and organisations.
Career opportunities (dependent on field of study)
- Scientific Officer
- Coastal Community Engagement Officer
- Federal or State Government advisor (policy / environment)
- Antarctic Researcher – Australian Antarctic Division
- Marine Park Manager
- Commercial Diver
- Conservation Biologist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fisheries Management
- Sustainable Aquaculture
- Seafood Science
- Marine Biology
- Governance and Policy
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
It is recommended that students living overseas should apply at least 3 months prior to semester start date and on-shore students apply no less than one month prior to semester start date.
DisciplinesClimate Studies & Meteorology Marine Studies Environmental Sciences View 80 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Tasmania and/or in Australia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
CRICOS Code: 096367G
- Admission to most postgraduate coursework courses at the University of Tasmania require qualifications equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree. Applicants must achieve the required grade in their qualifying studies, meet any prerequisite subjects, and meet English language requirements to be eligible for an offer.
- To be admitted to study the Graduate Diploma of Marine and Antarctic Science you will need an Australian Bachelor of Science degree or equivalent qualification at a recognised tertiary institution completed to a standard of achievement that is deemed acceptable by the College with a major in life sciences (such as biology, chemistry, environmental science, zoology, plant science, marine biology, ecology etc).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International39950 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39950 AUD for the full programme during 12 months.
Domestic students enrolled in a full fee paying place are charged the Student Services and Amenities Fee and is incorporated in the fees you pay for each unit you enrol in.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.