The Creative Writing program at Western Kentucky University prepares students for lives as writers of novels, short fiction, creative nonfiction, scripts, and poetry and related pursuits such as teaching, literary editing and publishing.
Students will complete a secondary concentration in literature, composition/rhetoric, or teaching English as a second language in order to give them additional options for employment after graduation.
The two year residential program of study consists of 48 credit hours of graduate course work, culminating in rigorous comprehensive exams and the completion of a publishable creative thesis in fiction, poetry, scriptwriting, or creative nonfiction.
- Composition and Rhetoric (ENCR)
- Literature (ENLI)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (ENTL)
Western Kentucky University (WKU) prepares students of all backgrounds to be productive, engaged, and socially responsible citizen-leaders of a global society. The University provides research, service and lifelong learning opportunities for its students, faculty, and other constituents. WKU enriches the quality of life for those within its reach.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Creative Writing Studies
- Graduate Rhetoric and Writing
- Reading as a Writer
- Graduate Writing Workshop
- Writing Memoir and Autobiography
- Advanced Poetry Writing
- Advanced Fiction Workshop
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 278 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GRE Analytical Writing score of 4.0 and minimum GRE Verbal score of 153
- Minimum GAP score of 453 [GAP = GRE-V + (undergraduate GPA x 100)]
- Completion of four undergraduate English courses beyond general education requirements with a GPA of at least 3.0; two of the courses should be upper-level English courses. Undergraduate creative writing courses are highly recommended
- Submission of writing sample
International953 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 953 USD per credit during 24 months.
National917 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 917 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State607 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 607 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Bowling Green
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.