The MA Fashion Design programme gives you the freedom to pursue your creative ambitions through experimental practice, personal research and critical evaluation. Working in purpose-built studios, you’ll cover core topics such as sketchbook development, visual research, sustainability and design, construction techniques and materials, CAD (computer-aided design) and fashion portfolio skills. Fashion Design is offered by University of Southampton.
The focus is on a combination of hand making skills and techniques alongside the use of cutting-edge technologies;
You’ll learn from tutors with years of professional fashion design experience and strong industry connections. They will work closely with you to help you develop your individual strengths and to enhance your employability.
You’ll benefit from professional skills workshops, exposure to industry through live briefs and guest lectures, and the opportunity to showcase your work in Winchester and London. The teaching team’s extensive contacts can also facilitate internship opportunities with leading fashion companies.
You will be able to choose from a range of fashion roles, including fashion designer, costume designer, pattern cutter, illustrator, fashion/photographic stylist, trend forecaster, fashion buyer, visual merchandiser, social media, blogger or fashion editor. This degree is also excellent preparation if you are interested in taking your studies to PhD level.
Past students have gone on to jobs as fashion designers and design teachers all over the world. Others have started their own labels; one former student who has established a label in Hong Kong recently brought her collection to the Pure trade show in London.
Many students have been successful in applying for internships, for example at Gareth Pugh, Roksanda Ilincic, Jasper Garvida for Ethologie and Thomas Tait. Two students who undertook internships at notjustalabel.com now have their own labels in Hong Kong and New Delhi.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fashion Design
- Sustainability in Business and Design
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
- Digital Cultures
- Experimental Publishing
- Exploring the Visual Language of Display
- Global Marketing
- Visual Culture
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Fashion, Textiles and Luxury Goods Fashion Design View 389 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- The admissions policy for the MA Fashion Design is based on students having a good honours degree in a relevant subject (2.2 or above) or an equivalent standard in other qualifications approved by the University.
- It is important that you demonstrate your artistic ability in a portfolio, as this will be the determining factor for entry.
- Your portfolio should include evidence of the processes behind final work (e.g. drawing and sketches; examples of practical work (including toiles/muslins and final garments or outfits), and images of your final work (e.g. catwalk/runway show or photo-shoot). Your portfolio should not exceed ten megabytes in size.
International18812 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18812 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.