This Biodiversity and Conservation MSc course offered by the University of Southampton will teach you to accurately monitor species diversity, change, population abundance and distribution. You’ll learn how to apply these skills to protect the world’s ecosystems and habitats.
On completing the course, you should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of
- the importance of environmental concepts, terms, principles and methods
- the value using techniques and ideas in different subject disciplines
- the socioeconomic context of environmental issues and the legal framework through which environmental regulation is facilitated
- current issues, paradigms and approaches within a specialist subject area of the environmental sciences
- the contribution of science, engineering or communication to the identification, understanding of environmental issues and concerns
- the human causes and consequences of environmental impacts, and responses to such impacts
- general environmental concerns, which may include: biodiversity; environmental limits to economic or population growth; demand for, and consequences of, water resource utilisation; energy and material production and use, including alternatives; air, land and water pollution; climate change; environmental change
You’ll have the chance to apply geographical information systems, modelling and spatial analysis and acquire the interdisciplinary skills required for effective research project management.
With this degree you'll have great career potential in local government, the private sector, national and international organisations, as well as research institutions (public and private).
Our graduates have the skills to manage complex problems, work with diverse stakeholders, and understand the challenges of interdisciplinary working. They are sought after for roles in:
- environmental monitoring
- pollution control
- sustainable waste management
- wildlife conservation
- ecological management
- Biodiversity and Conservation
- Freshwater Ecosystems
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Applied Ecology
- Water Pollution
- Geographical Information Systems for Environmental Consultants
- River Basin Management
- Deep Sea Ecology
- Global Change Biology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesBiology Biodiversity & Conservation Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 524 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree in a relevant subject.
International25400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25400 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £25,400.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.