You’ll be working in an applied problem-solving environment, confronting genuine challenges in the field and making a real contribution to sustainable environments.
We place an emphasis on projects on live planning problems such as a Development Plan exercise for a client (local authority), on studio work and applied learning outside the class including problem-solving with controversial proposals, such as fracking and windfarm applications.
You’ll work with your fellow students in teams to find practical approaches to the management and development of the built environment.
Planning And Development Highlights
Applications for this course received after 30th June 2020 may not be accepted. In addition, a deposit will be required to secure a place.
This Planning and Development programme at Queen's University Belfast is professionally accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) and Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and has a strong emphasis on the practical skills and knowledge required for theoretically-informed practice.
Our graduates end up in leading positions in central and local government and as well as in planning consultancies in the private sector. Some of them have gone on to lead significant environmental campaigns such as opposition to fracking; work with NGOs such as Friends of the Earth; and work with communities to make their neighbourhoods better, such as with disadvantaged groups.
Queen's postgraduates reap exceptional benefits. Unique initiatives, such as Degree Plus and Researcher Plus bolster our commitment to employability, while innovative leadership and executive programmes alongside sterling integration with business experts helps our students gain key leadership positions both nationally and internationally.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Planning Theory and Practice
- Environmental Planning & Governance
- Planning Skills & Ethics
- International Planning Studies
- GIS & Spatial Analysis
- Design in the Built Environment
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- We advise you to apply as early as possible, particularly for those courses where there is a high demand for places.
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Sustainable Development View 274 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally a 2.2 Honours degree or above, or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University in any discipline.
- Applicants with qualifications below 2.2 Honours standard or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University will be considered on a case by case basis, if they can demonstrate appropriate experience, acceptable to the School.
- The University's Recognition of Prior Learning Policy provides guidance on the assessment of experiential learning (RPEL).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6450 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) £6450
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) £6450
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB £7,250
- EU Other £17700
- International £17700
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.