Your theoretical physics research project will be shaped by participation in activities such as seminars, workshops, laboratory activity and field work, as well as your involvement in one of our established research groups.
While this research Theoretical Physics (by Research) programme at Swansea University usually finishes after a year, it can be used to progress to the second year of a PhD degree in the appropriate circumstances.
We have three main research groups.
- The Atomic, Molecular and Quantum Physics Group (AMQP)
- The Applied Physics and Materials (APM) Group
- The Particle Physics and Cosmology Theory (PPCT) Group
Swansea is a research-led University and our department makes a significant contribution, meaning you will benefit from the considerable experience and skills of our expert staff. Professor Lyn Evans, leader of the Large Hadron Collider project at CERN, is a significant Swansea Physics alumnus. Professor Higgs Boson, the Physics Nobel Prize winner who proposed the Boson particle is a Swansea University Honorary Fellow with close links to our department.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The areas of research include:
- Analytical laser spectroscopy,
- Ultrafast Dynamics, Imaging and Microscopy, Optomechanics
- Biophotonics: Nano- and micro-structured materials, biomimetics, analyte sensing and light-tissue interaction
- Amplitudes in gauge and supergravity theories
- Hot and Dense matter, High-performance computing
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPhysics View 140 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We invite applications from well-qualified candidates whose research interest focusses around the fields of, Atomic, Molecular and Quantum Physics (AMQP), Applied Physics and Materials (APM) and Particle Physics Theory (PPT).
- Normally a 2:1 Honours degree or a Master’s degree with merit in physics or related subject.
- IELTS 6.5 (minimum of 6.0 in each component) or Swansea University recognised equivalent.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International20800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 20800 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4407 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
For funding and scholarships, please visit our website for more details.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.