The growth of global and domestic terrorism has brought about a heightened demand for educated professionals who can proactively create counterterrorism policies and swiftly respond to potential or realized acts of terror. As a student in the MPS in Homeland Security - Counterterrorism option program at Pennsylvania State University, you can gain understanding of strategic, policy-based, and practical solutions for terrorism that are appropriate for government and the private and nonprofit sectors. You can learn such core skills as terrorism data analysis, security and intelligence assessment, report writing, threat management, counterterrorism briefing, and anti-terrorism assessment strategies.
The MPS in Homeland Security - Counterterrorism option can provide you with a broad base of knowledge relevant to the current policies and programs of the Homeland Security administration. Courses in the option are designed to give students a detailed understanding of terrorist organizations, along with their motives, threats, recruitment strategies, and operational tactics. The program also covers the evolution of, and issues related to, counterterrorism in the U.S. and other contexts. It can further provide you with a focus on understanding terrorist organizations in detail, along with their motives, threats, recruitment strategies, and operational tactics.
Learning outcomesAs a graduate of this program, you should be able to:
- understand the conditions that give rise to terrorism
- identify and evaluate basic counterterrorism operations
- plan and execute programs for intelligence gathering
- collect and analyze data and turn it into actionable information
- Homeland Security Administration: Policies and Programs
- Homeland Security: Social and Ethical Issues
- Violence, Threats, Terror, and Insurgency
- Root Causes of Terrorism
- Tools and Analysis of Terrorism and Counterterrorism
- Politics of Terrorism
- Radicalization, Counter Radicalization, and De-Radicalization
- Intelligence Analysis, Cultural Geography, and Homeland Security
- U.S. Military's Domestic Imperative: Homeland Defense and Defense Support of Civil Authorities
- American Foreign Policy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science Terrorism & Security View 89 other Masters in Terrorism & Security in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Pennsylvania State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a tertiary (postsecondary) degree that is deemed comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended
- GPA and Test Scores — Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are required
- English Proficiency
- References (3)
- Résumé — Upload your résumé to the online application.
- Statement of Purpose — A statement of no more than 500 words explaining to the admissions committee how your professional experience and goals relate to the program to which you are applying. Your statement could include aspects such as the following: Your reasons for pursuing the degree; why you feel you are a good candidate for the program; and any information you would like the admissions committee to know about you personally and/or professionally.
International33231 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1007 USD per credit during 12 months.
National33231 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1007 USD per credit during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.