This master's programme offers you an advanced education in philosophy with a focus on questions in politics and economics. It is ideal for students who aspire to a career in policymaking, politics, journalism and a wide range of other professional occupations.
The programme capitalises on Leiden University's internationally-acclaimed expertise and close proximity to the Hague to bring you state-of-the-art courses. You will learn to apply philosophical methods to social, political and economic phenomena, from democracy and the nation-state to the nature of global capitalism, with the purpose of bringing clarity to ongoing discussions and paving the way to novel solutions.
Philosophical Perspectives on Politics and the Economy at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme of Philosophy. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited master’s degree in Philosophy and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsOur graduates end up working in a diverse range of positions, examples include:
- Policy Officer at a ministry
- Copywriter at a media company
- Freelance editor
- PhD candidate at an foreign university
- Editor at a communications consultancy firm
- Consultant at an IT consultancy firm
- Editor at a company specialising in reviewing theses and dissertations
- Coordinator at an international human rights watch organisation
- PhD candidate at a university in Sweden
More informationVisit official programme website
- In the first semester you will follow the mandatory core seminar: Politics and Economy: Philosophical Foundations (10 EC).
- You will also select three optional courses (in total 30 EC), two in the first semester and one in the second semester.
- You will conclude your MA programme by writing a master’s thesis (20 EC). Your master’s thesis is an independent academic contribution exploring philosophical perspectives on politics and the economy.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesEconomics Philosophy & Ethics Political Science View 100 other Masters in Economics in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.