The revolution in genetic mapping technology and the advent of whole genome sequences have turned quantitative genetics into one of the fastest growing areas of biology.
Based in the internationally renowned Institute of Evolutionary Biology, this MSc draws from the wealth of expertise available there, as well as the teaching, research expertise and facilities of:
- Scotland’s Rural College
- the University’s Centre for Genomics and Experimental Medicine
- the Medical Research Council’s Human Genetics Unit
- the Roslin Institute (birthplace of Dolly the sheep).
In the Animal Breeding and Genetics programme offered by The University of Edinburgh, you will develop the in-depth knowledge and specialised skills required to apply quantitative genetics theory to practical problems, in both the biomedical and animal science industries, and to undertake research in evolutionary genetics, population genetics and genome analysis.
- This programme consists of two semesters of taught courses followed by a research project, leading to a dissertation.
- Courses are taught via lectures, tutorials, seminars and computer practicals. Assessment is by written examinations, in-course assignments and project work.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesBiology Animal Sciences Genetics View 524 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in biological or biomedical sciences, medicine, agriculture, or animal sciences, or a degree in mathematics, statistics, or physics from applicants intending to transfer into the biological sciences.
- We will also consider your application if you have less than the minimum qualification but can show sufficient additional relevant experience such as significant work history in a related discipline.
- Your application must show evidence of an interest in genetics alongside quantitative skills.
International35900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National18100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18100 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home - £18,100
- International/EU - £35,900
- Home - £9,050
- International/EU - £17,950
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.