The MSc Product Design at the University of Dundee is an ideal launch pad if you want to enter the exciting world of creative technology. You'll examine the ways digital technologies are changing the way we live our lives, exploring big data and looking at the relationship between products, the internet and the cloud.
You’ll learn how to develop socially relevant design responses to address these real world issues, challenging and creating conversations about the ways in which people and society interact with technologies.
This course is research-driven and interdisciplinary and you will be taught modules in both design and technology. You will collaborate with research scholars, and groups within the University, as well as with external organisations and creative practitioners.
Through this, you’ll develop new perspectives and frameworks on problem-solving, prototyping, design thinking, and making.
You’ll learn how to make highly resolved product prototypes, learning the tools and techniques for embedding technology into your products. You’ll also have access to the world class facilities Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design has to offer, which include:
- studio space
- a general workshop
- 3D digital making facility equipped with laser cutters
- 3D printers
- CNC milling machines
- electronics workstations
Graduates have gone on to have successful careers in fields such as:
- creative industries
- consumer product design
- medical products
- mechanical engineering design
- design and project management
- service design
- independent design consultancies in the UK and abroad
- Design Thinking: Insights to Innovation
- Changing Populations
- Creative Technologies
- Service Prototyping
- Studio Practice: Independent project
- Research Through Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Design View 533 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
- Honours degree at 2.1 or above in a creative or technical discipline (e.g. product design, industrial design, textile design, jewellery design, engineering, architecture, computer science etc.), although applicants with other qualifications or relevant professional experience will also be considered.
- A short (500 word) story about you and your interest in Product Design.
A portfolio of design/technology work. We consider all creative work in the context of design and portfolios will almost always include some (but not necessarily all) of the following:
- contextual research,
- visual mapping techniques,
- CAD rendering,
- model making,
- physical/digital prototypes,
- finished artefacts and any other design related work.
International20900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8765 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8765 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Dundee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.