The MFA program provides advanced study for students pursuing a career in web design and new media. Progress in the MFA degree is measured through a rigorous process, both at the midpoint and final reviews.
Studio courses of the Web Design and New Media program of Academy of Art University develop creative and technical acumen, with attention to mastering user experience design, while advanced courses provide a focused learning environment for building final thesis projects. Students will graduate with a portfolio and comprehensive thesis project showcasing their talent.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present a clearly defined design project worthy of the MFA degree
- Provide proof of concept demonstrating the feasibility of the project
- Produce a final thesis project demonstrating design thinking, visual communication and technical skills
- Gather, analyze and apply the information necessary to develop design solutions centered on real target users
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of thesis topic and identify resources for content development
- Create interactive architecture to effectively support the needs of the project’s functionality
- Effectively utilize grid, hierarchy, typography, color, and composition
- Apply the above design principles to effectively implement/display interactivity appropriate to the project
- Demonstrate an understanding of current interactive technologies by identifying appropriate technical tools to implement a core component of the thesis project
- Establish and document the technical scope of the thesis project
- Demonstrate a realistic consideration of potential users
- Develop final testing plan based on initial explorations
- Apply testing results to refine projects throughout the design process, documenting key iterations along the way
- Effectively articulate and defend ideas and process
- Accurately cite or credit sources used to develop thesis proposal, project, and presentations
- Demonstrate organizational skills in the thesis proposal and record of thesis project development process
- Develop and demonstrate the skills required for the chosen professional path, as demonstrated in the thesis project, portfolio and personal website.
Academy of Art University offers some of the best training and hands-on experience to help accelerate your career. We pride ourselves in doing an exceptional job preparing you to excel in your future web design career. Our degree programs are designed to equip aspiring artists and designers with a comprehensive toolbox of marketable skills that lead to success in the web design and new media industries.
Give conceptual and stylistic direction for design staff, developers, and anyone else involved in the creation or maintenance of a project.
User Experience Developer
As a user experience designer, you’ll use the User Centered Design process to understand the what, why, and how a product is used. You’ll get to know your users through through research and you’ll use their input to guide the process so that you can provide them with a design that is not only intuitive, but also delightful.
An interactive designer is responsible for design strategy, identifying key interactions of a product, creating and testing prototypes, and keeping up to date on technology trends. Combining strong design thinking and excellent visual design skills, you’ll create digital products that impact the user.
As a mobile designer, you'll create new and engaging experiences for emerging mobile devices and screens.
As a motion designer, you'll concept user interfaces, interaction animations, and design for emerging devices and platforms.
As a user-interface designer, you'll work with user-exprience designers and developers to create mockups, prototypes, and layouts for web applications and dashboards.
Work with a team of creatives to explore many different design solutions to a user’s particular needs. You’re there to ensure a consistent look and feel for the human side of a product, and that the product logically flows as the user moves from decision to decision, making the overall experience a positive and satisfying one.
Working with the design and technology staff, the visual designer is responsible for creating high-quality, user-centric design solutions.
With a strong background in both design and web programming languages, you'll create working prototypes from visual designs and wireframes as a web designer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Digital Graphics
- Tech 1: Front-End
- User Experience Design
- Crossing Borders: Art & Culture in a Global Society
- History of Graphic Design
- Visual Design & Typography
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMedia Studies & Mass Media View 187 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1191 USD per credit during 36 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1137 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.