Students in the Experimental Animation at California Institute of the Arts CalArts are trained to not only become makers—but also critically minded contributors to the advancement of animation history and theory.
- In addition to coursework in technique and theory, the EA curriculum includes training in professionalization. Students are expected to become familiar with film festivals and submission processes, attend professional gatherings and events, and become members of related organizations.
- Accordingly, graduates become creative leaders in the field, establishing careers in studio production, teaching and personal practice, often forming creative partnerships with fellow CalArts students.
- Applicants with a BFA in animation degree or comparable experience are eligible to request the option of a two-year residency.
- This MFA degree is meant to supplement the BFA experience by allowing time for the development of an additional, more complex animation project and more study of both interdisciplinary and historical/theoretical frameworks.
- An applicant's eligibility for the two-year residency will be determined by the faculty at the time of admission.
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 328 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Credentials, diplomas and certificates of secondary-school and college-level work must be presented in English translation. International students applying to MFA programs must submit evidence of receipt of an undergraduate degree or its equivalent.
- The records must clearly state the date of completion (or the anticipated date of completion) and the level of education received with notations as to the number of hours attended per week and the total number of weeks completed.
- Scan and upload copies of transcripts for all institutions attended. In the online application, you will be prompted to upload a PDF of your scanned documents. Please upload both the front and back sides of the transcript, even if the back side is blank.
International52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 36 months.
National52850 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52850 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for California
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.