The comprehensive master's degree program in Exceptional Student Education is part of the NCATE accredited Professional Education Unit, and is designed to develop master teachers who will be prepared for instructional and leadership roles in special education.
Students will be assigned a faculty mentor who will provide career advice and advisement concerning professional issues. Students in this master’s degree program must complete a 21-semester-hour core, which includes a twelve-semester-hour Department of Teacher Education and Educational Leadership core and a nine-semester-hour Educational Investigative Sequence.
Students must also complete a cognate program of study of at least 15 semester hours. The following are pre-approved cognate area options:
- Special & Alternative Education
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Issues in Teacher Education: A Bio-Psycho-Social Perspective
- Educational Assessment
- Issues in Classroom Management
- Investigative Strategies and Empirical Foundations in Learning and Development
- Action Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSpecial Education View 693 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Hold or be seeking professional teaching certification
- Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 on bachelor's degree
- Submit a current (within five years) official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) verbal score OR Miller’s Analogies Test (MAT) score
- Submit a letter of intent that includes the following information: your background, short- and long-term goals, contributions you would like to make to your field of study, and strengths you bring to the program
- Submit contact information (email addresses and phone numbers) for two professional references
International1029 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1029 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National463 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 463 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State369 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 369 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.