Heritage and Memory Studies at the UvA
In the Heritage and Memory Studies (Heritage Studies) programme of the University of Amsterdam, you will research the various meanings attached to heritage in a museological and educational context (i.e. listed buildings, theme parks, visual media and tourism) as well as its political use. Looking at, for example, the heritage and memory of the Second World War or of the colonial past, you will deal with the inherent frictions that come with historical 'layering', the quest for authenticity in the digital age, museological preservation, public and private management of heritage artefacts and the tourist experience.
You are encouraged to shape the programme to suit your own specific interests in the field. As a Dual Master's programme, the Master's in Heritage and Memory Studies offers a unique combination of practical experience, specialist knowledge and theoretical reflection, and an internship as a central component of the programme.
- Heritage and Memory Theory
- Who Owns the Past?
- Internship Heritage and Memory Studies
- Current Issues: Excursion Abroad - Heritage and Memory Studies
- Thesis Heritage and Memory Studies
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ancient History Museum Studies View 30 other Masters in Ancient History in Netherlands
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in the fields of cultural anthropology, cultural studies, (art) history, archaeology and prehistory, social geography, or urban planning; the humanities or social sciences with a minimum of 30 ECTS (equivalent to a full-time semester of academic studies) taken in the field of heritage and memory studies
- English language requirements
- GPA for the courses related to the dual master’s programme you are pursuing: A/3.6 (American system), 2.1 HONS (an upper second class honours degree in the British system), B (ECTS-system), 7.5 (Dutch system)
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR per year during 18 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.