About the Program
As one of the largest programs of its kind in the country, the Theatre Education and Applied Theatre program of Emerson College will prepare you to create both theatre and learning experiences that transform lives and communities. With two tracks of study, Theatre Teacher Education or Theatre and Community, our courses integrate theory and reflective practice and give you the opportunity to develop skills and expand your knowledge in the art of theatre, the principles of teaching and learning in theatre, and the practices of applied drama and theatre.
When you start an application for our MA/MFA program, you will have the option to choose whether you want to be considered for the MA degree only, or if you would like to be considered for admission to both the MA and MFA degrees. If you enroll into the MA program to start, you will have future opportunities to apply to the MFA, either as a current MA student or alumni.
MA students will have the opportunity to earn Massachusetts initial licensure as a theatre teacher for Pre-K through Grade 12. Students who choose to pursue the MFA will be prepared to teach at the college level.
In addition to teaching theatre at all levels, graduates also go on to:
- Work as teaching artists or education directors;
- Pursue further doctoral work in theatre, education, and other related fields; and
- Use theatre for community-based social justice work as community activists, social workers, recreation leaders, and more.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Dramatic Literature/Theatre History
- Theatre Design/Technology
- 30 months
- 40 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Theatre & Dance View 268 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts: All non-U.S. transcripts must be sent to an evaluation agency.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must provide evidence of English proficiency by submitting official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, or Pearson test results.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- There is one required essay for this program, which can be submitted online with your application.
- Submit an artistic résumé in addition to your professional résumé.
- The Theatre Education program supports the issuance of an I-20 for the full duration of the program.
International1296 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1296 USD per credit and a duration of 30 months.
National1296 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1296 USD per credit and a duration of 30 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.