Studio Artists will be assigned comprimario or cover roles in Opera Birmingham’s staged productions, appear as guest artists at Opera Birmingham concerts and events, and participate in joint Opera Birmingham/Samford Opera educational programs. Studio Artists will have numerous performance opportunities at Samford, including opera scenes programs and mainstage productions.
Weekly voice lessons, masterclasses from visiting guest artists, seminars and classes in performance, literature, and history are included as part of the master’s degree program. For over a century, Samford University has been a leading Vocal Performance program in the Southeast. Alumni perform on the world’s most acclaimed opera, music theatre, and concert stages. Faculty are distinguished scholars and performers.
- Up to full tuition covered by Samford University (scholarships and graduate assistantships)
- Stipends covered by Opera Birmingham
To be considered for the Master in Music in Vocal Performance program and the Opera Birmingham Studio at Samford, singers must either audition in person on November 19, February 4, or February 25, OR submit audition videos by the application deadlines.
Audition requirements: Five memorized, contrasting selections, with representation of English, German, Italian and French literature. Prospective students wishing to be considered for the Opera Birmingham Studio should present at least two arias at the audition, with an additional three selections of either art songs or arias.
Prospective students who are not interested in the Opera Birmingham Studio should present at least one aria or oratorio piece at the audition, with an additional four selections of either art songs or arias.
- Research in Music
- History and Application of Performance Practices
- Analytical Techniques
- Seminar in Vocal Literature
- Topics in Music History
- Seminar in Vocal Pedagogy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 248 other Masters in Music Performance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Samford University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
2 Pieces:One English art song, One art song in a foreign language, preferably Italian
- At Auditions
- Audition pieces must be performed from memory and with piano accompaniment.
- Be prepared for a vocal and musical assessment with tonal memory exercises, sight-reading, and vocal range check.
- Be prepared to discuss your musical background and future goals.
- Apply for admission to the university and declare a major housed within the Division of Music on your application. Your university application will give you access to a Samford-specific “Application Status Page.”
- Submit the Music Application through your Samford-specific “Application Status Page.” Please answer all required fields including a preferred audition and interview date. Once you submit a completed application you will be contacted via email confirming your audition date.
International13860 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 924 USD per credit during 24 months.
National13860 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 924 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Homewood
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.