Cultural Diversity In An Interconnected World
Despite strong forces of globalisation, socialcultural sameness does not increase. Power tensions and violent conflicts continue to persist and even erupt. Why?
To answer this question, we need an anthropological analysis of the relation between cultural diversity and power within the process of sociocultural transformation.
The Cultural Anthropology - Sociocultural Transformation programme at Utrecht University equips you with the knowledge and skills to make this analysis.
Several courses offer an interdisciplinary setting, in which you can explore topics that relate not only to anthropology, but also to other areas, such as political sociology, social justice, and psychology.
Best in the field
The renowned Keuzegids Masters 2018 rated Cultural Anthropology: Sociocultural Transformation at Utrecht University as the Best Master’s Programme in its field in the Netherlands.
The Master's Cultural Anthropology: Sociocultural Transformation prepares you for a research career, in academia (including further PhD training), in other research institutes or in private companies. On the foundation of your Bachelor’s degree, this Master’s programme trains you to operate as a qualified cultural anthropologist.
As a science practitioner you'll develop the academic skills and knowledge necessary to initiate and develop groundbreaking research on the relationship between cultural diversity and power within the process of sociocultural transformation. Being educated at Utrecht University guarantees that you are equipped with a strong methodological basis.
The Master’s programme Cultural Anthropology: Sociocultural Transformation prepares you for subsequent PhD training, but also serves as a freestanding programme for graduates who aspire to research positions outside academia.
This Master's programme prepares you for a scientific career, whether in academia (PhD training), research institutes, government organisations, NGOs or private companies.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Contemporary Approaches in Anthropological Theory
- Qualitative Research Methodology
- Power, Politics and the State: Anthropological Perspectives
- Armed Conflict, Collective Violence, and Conflict Transformation
- Ethnographic Methods and Research Design
- Political Conflict and Social Trauma
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology Ethnic Studies View 11 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The Admissions Committee strives to admit around 20 suitable applicants per year. This Master’s programme has the following entry requirements:
- An academic Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioural Sciences with sufficient Anthropology courses (approximately 20 ECTS)
- A minimum average grade of 7.5 in the Dutch system or an international equivalent (please consult this document for more information per country).
- English writing sample: applicants are required to submit an English academic writing sample in the form of a term paper, thesis or published article, preferably on a topic related to the programme.
- Sufficient command of the English language (see below).
- Motivation that fits the aim of this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17280 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17280 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.