The School Counseling program of Kutztown University meets the Pennsylvania Department of Education's requirements for the PreK-12 Pennsylvania School Counseling Certification. The 60-credit School Certification and Licensure option meets the Pennsylvania Department of Education's requirements to be a PreK-12 Pennsylvania Certified School Counselor and meets the academic requirements for the Licensed Professional Counselor credential.
The program consists of core counseling courses, specialty area courses, and 700 hours of field experience. All school counseling students (60-credit option or 51-credit option) are eligible to sit for the PRAXIS exam. Upon successful program completion and qualifying score on the Professional School Counselor PRAXIS examination, certification as a Professional School Counselor is granted through the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Students who complete the 60-credit option meet the educational requirements for state licensure in Professional Counseling and are eligible to take the National Certified Counselor (NCC) examination, a state licensure prerequisite.
Both school counselor preparation programs are structured around several core tenets:
- Development of personal awareness of self as a counselor
- Knowledge of counseling and educational concepts
- Skills in counseling students at a variety of age and developmental levels
Included in the program are an emphasis on developing assessment and research skills and using research findings in school counseling. The School Counseling program effectively prepares graduates for a broad range of career possibilities, including working in public and private school settings, community settings, hospitals, educational institutions, Veterans Administration treatment centers, and private practice settings.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Professional Orientation and Ethical Practice.
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Social and Cultural Diversity.
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Human Growth and Development.
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Career Development.
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Helping Relationships.
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Group Work.
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Assessment.
- Demonstrates content knowledge in the CACREP core area of Research and Program Evaluation.
- Demonstrates the ability to competently provide the services and meet the responsibilities of a professional counselor.
- Intercultural Issuesin Counseling
- Professional Orientation and Ethics for School Counselors
- Fundamentals of Counseling
- Life Span Development
- Problems of Addiction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , International
Deadlines for national students:
- Fall - March 1
- Spring - October 1
DisciplinesSchool Counselling View 552 other Masters in School Counselling in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed Application Form
- Processing Fee.
- 3 professional and/or academic letters of recommendation written within the last 3 years. Acceptable professional references would be from a current or former: Professor, colleague/co-worker, supervisor. If you have graduated within the last three years, you must provide AT LEAST one ACADEMIC reference.
- Bachelor degree transcripts received (3.0 GPA) or a Master's level transcript with a 3.0 or better.
- One-page typed resume of employment and education history.
- Academic Goal Statement: The Kutztown University Counselor Education and Student Affairs Programs are designed to develop the competencies necessary for individuals to function as professionals within their discipline.
International19737 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 774 USD per credit during 24 months.
National19737 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 774 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State13158 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 516 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Kutztown
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.