In the Humanities Research - Global History programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam you will learn to investigate the dynamics and long-term developments of the global interconnection of goods, ideas and people, and the role of power, religion and affects in such constellations.
In research-intensive courses you will collaborate with renowned researchers and research groups in the fields of migration studies, the history of capitalism, knowledge and religion, material culture and heritage, emotions and senses, and environmental humanities.
The distinguishing characteristic of the programme is an interdisciplinary perspective that includes concepts and methodologies from the social sciences, philosophy and law. The programme also offers students the possibility to explore and train skills in digital analysis and reflect on the possibilities of the emerging digital humanities techniques, and e-Humanities approaches.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers a thorough training programme, with individual guidance by excellent and committed supervisors. You are encouraged to make use of the staff’s intensive networks with heritage and research institutions, governmental organizations and NGO’s (e.g. UNESCO), and business partners (banks, creative industries), to set up embedded research projects which may act as a stepping stone for the next step in your career.
The Global History programme offers a dynamic international context where students from the Netherlands, and from abroad, exchange views, experiences and historical research questions. Visits to other universities abroad for a research period up to 3 months, are encouraged, with financial support from the Graduate school of Humanities.
- Your most likely prospect after completing your research master’s degree program is to set up your own research as a PhD student. This involves attracting funding, carrying out research under the guidance of a supervisor, and writing a PhD thesis on the subject. The Humanities Research Master’s Programme offers an excellent training for an academic career.
- In our research design courses you will learn to develop your research skills, construct research proposals for national or European science foundations, and to apply for international research funds.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History Courses
- Humanities Core Modules
- Humanities connected
- National research schools
- Individual study programme
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- EU/EEA or Dutch students: 1 June
- Non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 June
- Students who need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 April.
DisciplinesHistory Educational Research View 19 other Masters in Educational Research in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The Global History research master's programme is aimed at talented students who are exceptionally motivated to be trained in academic methods in the field of history. To be admitted to the programme, the student should have a bachelor’s degree in history, European studies, anthropology, political sciences, cultural studies, or a related academic degree.
- The student should also have a proficient level of academic English, proof of excellent study results and clear motivation for doing academic research.The research master's degree programme is aimed at the talented student who is exceptionally motivated to train in academic methods in the field of history.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12690 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12690 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.