The Journalism programme at the University of Groningen enable students to reflect on the nature of journalism as a profession and stimulate critical thinking about the future of news reporting.
You will study how journalism culture and developments in globalization, citizenship, politics and digital journalism interrelate while learning how to apply appropriate research methods and theories in empirical academic research focused on understanding the field of journalism.
In the first two semesters, students will take academic courses and practice journalism skills. During the third and last semester students work on their master's thesis. They also take a second research seminar or complete an internship with a news organization.
The English-taught Master's track offers excellent preparation for the job market. Most alumni work in journalism, self-employed or on a contract with a news organization. Others work in communication and public relations, mostly for non-profit or (semi) government organizations. Jobs in policy development and management, education and academic research are quite common as well.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Journalism Studies: Theory
- Journalism Studies: Methodology
- Journalism Skills
- Theoretical Specialization: Global Journalism
- Theoretical Specialization: Journalism and Political Culture
- Business and Ethics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The admissions test includes two parts: writing a (short) essay on a specific topic in Journalism Studies, and a personal selection of the top 5 international/local news items with an explanation as to why they are important.
- The admission test will be sent to the student via email after the diploma has been validated (in case of a non-Dutch diploma). The student has 5 business days to do the test and return it to the secretariat. In some cases students might be invited to do an interview.
International13500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13500 EUR per year and a duration of 18 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.