Music Education from Buffalo State SUNY is comprised of courses that are critical to the ongoing professional development of the music teacher. The entire program will require 30 credits and includes 24 credits of required graduate coursework in music history, music theory, music education, and a master’s project or master’s thesis. An additional six credits of elective coursework will include graduate courses chosen from repertoire and ensemble leadership, educational foundations, musical theatre, and a flexible independent study. The department anticipates developing additional elective graduate offerings in the areas of music education, music technology, music history, music theory, composition, and/or performance after the initial implementation of the degree.
Music Education from Buffalo State SUNY will help students become accomplished reflective educators as indicated by the Buffalo State College Teacher Education Unit Conceptual Framework for advanced programs.
- Graduate Music History
- Curriculum and Assessment
- Contemporary Issues in Music Education
- Research Methods in Music Education
- Educational Psychology
- Independent Study
- Social Commentary in Musical Theatre
- Repertoire and Ensemble Leadership
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Rolling admission for national students.
DisciplinesEducation Music Musicology View 24 other Masters in Musicology in United States
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Bachelor's degree in music education from an accredited institution.
- Three letters of recommendation
- A resume of educational and professional achievements.
- A scholarly writing sample
- Although not required, formal music teaching experience in public or private school systems is preferred.
- Applicants may be asked to participate in a phone or on-line interview at the discretion of the music education coordinator.
- Initial Certificate in Music
- Online Application
- Application Fee
- Send Official Transcripts
- A copy of the applicant's passport bio page.
- Financial Statement (FSA-4)
- English language proficiency.
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.