During the Type and Media programme of the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague students will work intensively in a group of no more than 12 under the guidance of experts and teachers from the KABK and abroad.
Students explore every aspect of letterforms: contrast, rhythm, proportion and weight as well as type history, font technology, digitising and tool development. The curriculum is constructed to produce expert designers with a thorough knowledge of, and pronounced affinity with, type and typography.
Graduates of the Master TypeMedia at the Royal Academy of Art, The Hague (KABK) have become type professionals at Adobe, FontShop, Monotype, Frere-Jones, Commercial Type and Hoefler & Co. Many TypeMedia graduation projects have been published at leading type foundries including Bold Monday and Typotheque. Alumni teach in type design courses at Cooper Union, Yale, ECAL and EINA. While some TypeMedia alumni have gone on to build a career in the design and production of non-Latin typefaces, the emphasis of the course is on Latin typefaces.
- Form studies
- Contrast research
- Revival research
- Letter carving
- Type and Language
- Design theory
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Graphic Design View 6 other Masters in Graphic Design in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You have (at least) a bachelor degree in graphic design
- Non-EEA candidates are required to provide proof of English Language proficiency
- You have sufficient practical experience in typography and design
- You are able to write about your motivation for joining the master programme
- You have a convincing portfolio of graphic design and typographic design
- Your portfolio contains examples of calligraphy, lettering and type design
- You can document your fascination for type design, typography and different media
- You are acquainted with developments in the field of type design
- Digital portofolio
International6416 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6416 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Den Haag
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.