The Animation MFA program from DePaul University is centered around a fall-through-spring single project model, in which students are closely mentored by faculty.
During the first year students spend the majority of their time working on a film they complete under the tutelage of one of the two Animation MFA Co-Chairs, Amy Lockhart and Jacob Ciocci. They also choose MFA Faculty Mentors from our full-time faculty, who regularly consult with them on their projects. Students are helped to develop a personal vision and push the limits of their abilities and the potential of animation as an expressive medium.
During their second year, students begin work with one of the MFA Co-Chairs on their MFA Thesis Project, and assemble their MFA Thesis Committee for regular feedback. The program uses the cohort model, so students will work alongside their peers throughout their degree.
Animation MFA students also receive rigorous training in the history, critical artistic issues, and fundamental principles that are necessary for animation artists. The degree is intended for those with undergraduate degrees in Animation, Film, Art, Graphic Design, Illustration and other visual art areas.
More informationVisit official programme website
- 3D Animation Survey
- Animation Graduate Seminar
- Animation Mechanics
- Visual Storytelling
- Animation Styles and Techniques
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, National
- Deadline passed, International
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 211 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
- Complete an online application ($25 application fee)
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended.
- U.S. college and university transcripts should be mailed to the address below
- Submit a statement of creative purpose that includes your artistic goals and your reasons for applying to the MFA.
- Submit a one page description of a possible animation project that represents the type of work you hope to produce.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from people who can attest to your artistic abilities, commitment, work ethic and creative potential.
- Submit a reel and/or portfolio that includes examples of your creative visual work.
International865 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 865 USD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
National865 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 865 USD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
In-State865 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 865 USD per credit and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.