As a student in our two-year joint master’s degree program, you’ll spend the first two semesters at the University of North Texas and the last semesters at CATIE. All courses are taught in English.
CATIE combines scientific research, graduate education and technical cooperation to create equilibrium between conservation and sustainable production. It has strategic alliances with public and private universities, research centers, nonprofit organizations, corporations and government entities around the globe.
The master’s program provides unique opportunities such as:
- Application of sustainable tourism in the U.S. and Costa Rica
- Hospitality services and operational perspectives of sustainable tourism
- International instruction from industry experts and experienced researchers
UNT provides a wide variety of services exclusively to graduate students. The Graduate Student Writing Support office can help you with writing, and the Center for Interdisciplinary Research offers assistance with statistical research.
The travel sector is one of the world’s biggest industries. One of every 10 jobs globally comes from the travel and tourism sector, according to the World Travel and Tourism Council. It’s vital for tourism development professionals to understand the interdependencies of economic benefits, environmental impacts, and social and cultural resources.
Costa Rica, which welcomes 3 million visitors a year, is a pioneer in environmental conservation and has excellent infrastructure and services. The country’s network of national parks and conservation areas, biodiversity, innovative policies and exceptional geographical location are ideal for scholars and institutions devoted to the issues surrounding natural resources and their use.
First year courses
- Hotel and Restaurant Operations: Theory and Analysis
- International Sustainable Tourism
- Tourism Services Management and Marketing
- Planning and Policy in Sustainable Tourism
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Research Applications in Merchandising and Hospitality Management
Second year courses
- Sustainable Natural Resource Management
- Context and Challenges of Sustainable Tourism Development
- Environmental Policies in a Changing World
- Seminars in Sustainable Tourism: Experiences of Successful Practitioners in Costa Rica
- Socio-Cultural Contexts of Sustainable Tourism Development
- Field/Practical/Professional Experience with Research Applications (Capstone)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesTourism & Leisure View 57 other Masters in Tourism & Leisure in United States
- Detailed professional résumé
- Essay addressing your motivation for seeking a master’s degree, previous academic or professional honors, future professional goals and how this degree enables you to obtain your goals
- Three CMHT recommendation forms completed by employers or former faculty members
National17172 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8586 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State1800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 900 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.