Our Economics program is held in very high esteem by its graduates, by its current students, and by professional economists in Canada and throughout the world. The program is designed to prepare students to undertake both applied and theoretical research. It involves a central core of courses in economic theory and quantitative methods, together with some specialization according to interest.
A special feature of the M.A. program from Queen's University is that it offers students the chance to undertake independent research with individual supervision, in the form of either an M.A. Essay or a Master's Thesis. Most students choose the former option, since the essay is designed to be written during the summer after all coursework has been completed. Both of these options enhance the prospects of those seeking employment at the M.A. level and provide excellent preparation for writing a dissertation at the Ph.D. level.
Because most students live near campus, and we provide office space for all graduate students, there is a great deal of interaction among M.A. students, Ph.D. students, and faculty members. Good students often learn as much from each other as they do from lectures, and Queen's provides an ideal setting for this sort of learning.
Queen's M.A. students have been particularly successful in obtaining employment during the past decade. Recent placements include the Bank of Canada, the Department of Finance, Statistics Canada, Industry Canada, Health Canada, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the Bank of Montreal, Toronto Dominion Bank, Deloitte-Touche, Angus-Reid, Arthur Anderson, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and Goldman Sachs.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Microeconomic Theory
- Advanced Microeconomic Theory
- Macroeconomic Theory
- Advanced Macroeconomic Theory
- Quantitative Methods
- Master's Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Mathematics Applied Mathematics View 14 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in Canada
- A GPA of 2.8 will be required in the course work.
- Most students accepted for admission to our M.A. program in Economics at Queen's possess an honours bachelor degree with a major concentration in economics. Most successful applicants will have taken undergraduate courses in statistics and quantitative methods for economics, intermediate and advanced micro and macro-economic theory, and two or three further upper-year courses in economics, plus linear algebra and differential and integral calculus.
- Applicants do not necessarily have to possess a degree in economics, however, they must be able to demonstrate a strong background in economics by excelling at the courses listed above.
International12927 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12927 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5773 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5773 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.