Why study Human Geography - Conflicts, Territories and Identities programme offered at the Radboud University
- The foundation of this specialisation is socio-geographical, addressing issues such as the influence of territorial belonging, geopolitical framing and social construction of others, threats and conflicts, including violent symbolism. Both the political and social construction of conflicts, territories and identities, as well as the theory and practice of conflict transformations will be addressed.
- The specialisation focuses on conflict in the broad sense of the word: ranging from the violent conflicts taking place in countries like Ukraine, DR Congo, Colombia, Syria and Iraq to extreme regional tension between communities like the resistance to the arrival of refugees in EU countries, or drug-related violence in the slums of Rio de Janeiro. We look beyond the violent conflict itself by also paying attention to practices of post-conflict reconstruction and the long-lasting consequences of conflicts for a region and the people involved.
With expertise gained during this Master’s, a graduate can be employed in a wide range of jobs, both in and outside the Netherlands, for example:
- A policymaker or programme researcher for city municipalities focusing on conflict, borders, identities, integration and multicultural issues
- Conflict expert and manager or field officer for ministries (like the Ministry of Foreign Affairs), the security sector (like Defence), international organisations (like the United Nations), and NGOs (like PAX).
- A research or programme officer for a development aid related organisation
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Geopolitics of Borders
- Conflicting Theories: Applying Theoretical Approaches to Conflicts, Territories and Identities
- Political and Geographical Conflict Resolution, Theory and Practice
- Master's Thesis and Research Internship
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- 1 April: Final deadline
- 1 July: Final deadline
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Political Science View 72 other Masters in Political Science in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Your admission into this programme depends on your previous education. You are admissible if you have a completed:
- In order to get admission to this Master's you will need a completed Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent, from a research university) from a geography-related discipline, such as Spatial Planning, Geography, Environment Studies.
- For students with a completed Bachelor's degree (or equivalent, from a research university) in a related area your prior education might first needs to be approved by the examination Board in order to enroll in the study programme, by matter of an intake interview.
- Proficiency in English
- We require all our students to have basic training in research processes
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16000 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Nijmegen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
We have a number of scholarships available only for international Master’s students. You can find the full list, including details about eligibility requirements and how to apply, on the university's website
- Please do note, that most of these scholarships are not fully funded. The Radboud Scholarship Programme (RSP) is the only scholarship that offers both fully and partially funded scholarships.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.