While most University of Kansas Slavic Languages and Literatures students choose to remain in the academic sector, others have gone on to careers in government service, NGOs (non-governmental organizations), other public-sector positions, administration, high-school and community-college teaching, and professional-education support, among other career paths. Our graduate faculty and their colleagues are ready to mentor students to succeed on whatever path they choose to pursue.
Focus of the degree
Work toward the M.A. degree at the University of Kansas consists of a traditional curriculum that provides students with important foundational knowledge. Our curriculum includes historical surveys of the major literary periods and genres, understanding of the structure and function of Slavic languages, knowledge of disciplinary methodologies employed in our field, development of appropriate language capacity, and control of writing and research strategies.
Students pursuing the M.A. in Slavic Languages & Literatures may choose as their primary language and culture Russian, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, or Polish.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Slavic Languages and Linguistics;
- Bibliography and Methods;
- Three course electives in Slavic literature;
- Three course electives in Slavic linguistics;
- Two additional course electives in either Slavic literature or linguistics or six hours of thesis credit;
- At least one elective must be a graduate seminar.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 908 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- GRE scores,
- a letter of intent
- a short essay in the target language you intend to study (Russian, Polish, or Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian)
- a sample research paper from one of your courses, preferably on a relevant topic (to demonstrate your writing skills and basic research capacity);
- transcripts from all institutions attended (these may come electronically or by mail);
- general information about your applications for funding
International19322 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19322 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National24023 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24023 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
In-State10061 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10061 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.