- a course in critical readings
- training in research skills and methods
- option courses spanning a wide range of specialisms
- optional language learning
You will be supported to closely and critically evaluate primary and secondary sources on a range of relevant subjects.
You will learn and be assessed through a combination of:
- seminar work
- oral presentations
- a dissertation
With over 260 years of history in teaching and research in this subject area, we are globally recognised as a leading centre for the study of the Islamic Middle East.
Our research resources and facilities are outstanding. We have a dedicated Islamic Library and our Main University Library houses over 23,000 IMES resources, including the Serjeant and Watt Collections.
We are the home of the Alwaleed Centre, part of a select network in the UK, USA and the Middle East aiming to promote a better understanding of Islam and Islamic culture through ground-breaking research and innovative outreach projects.
The aim of this programme is to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to advance to doctoral study, and perhaps pursue an academic career.
You may also choose to apply your skills to a role that involves the Middle Eastern or Islamic communities, or use your transferable communication, research, and other skills in a range of sectors including education, journalism, communication, research, and others.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Readings in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
- Research Skills and Methods in IMES
- Research Methods and Problems in IMES
- International Relations Theory
- The Middle East in International Relations
- From diatribe to dialogue in Christian-Muslim relations
- Gender and Media in the Arab World
- Digital Islamic Art History
- Islamic Philosophy
- Globalized Muslim Politics
- Muslims in Europe
- Muslim Societies in Southeast Asia
- Islamic Africa
- The Arab-Israeli Conflict: Nations in Collision
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Political Science View 494 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home: £6,250
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.