Recognised in the UK and internationally as a leading institution for research and undergraduate and postgraduate study, our department is well resourced. We are home to the Alwaleed Centre, part of an international network of centres devoted to the promotion of better mutual understanding between the World of Islam and the West. We boast an impressive library of current and archival material.
The Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies programme offered by The University of Edinburgh will combine seminar work, oral presentations and essays. You will complete one compulsory course, two research courses and three option courses over two semesters, followed by an independently researched dissertation.
Your option courses can be chosen from within IMES or from other disciplines such as history, divinity, politics or international relations. You may also take additional language courses in introductory Persian, Turkish or Arabic.
The aim of this programme is to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to advance to doctoral study, and perhaps an academic career. You may also choose to apply your skills to a role that involves the Islamic community, or use your transferable communication, research and other skills in an unrelated area.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Readings in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies
- Research Skills and Methods in IMES
- Research Methods and Problems in IMES
- Ideology and Political Practice in the Modern Middle East
- Gender and Media in the Arab World
- Cinema and Society in the Middle East
- Muslims in Britain: Migration, Faith and Identity
- Of Wine, Love and Loss: Reading Iran through Classical Persian Literature
- The Qur'an - Islam's Holy Book
- The Syrian War and the Strategic Meltdown of the Middle East
- Modern Persian Literature and 'Modern' Iran
- The Arab-Israeli Conflict: Nations in Collision
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Political Science View 486 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline.
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
National11900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11900 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home: £5,950
- International/EU: £12,000
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.