It is particularly dedicated to addressing the work-force needs of agencies that serve families and communities. Moreover, the Social Work curriculum emphasizes social work practice at the advanced level in rural communities.
There are two program options for students meeting the admission requirements outlined below. The Traditional Option requires 60 semester hours for students with a baccalaureate degree in any field and may be taken full or part-time.
The Advanced Standing Option requires 33 semester hours for students who have earned a bachelor of social work (BSW) degree from an accredited social work program and who have fulfilled the additional admission requirements outlined below. The Advanced Standing Option may be taken full or part-time as well.
All program options require students to complete SWRK 661 as a capstone course prior to graduation. This course integrates the entire curriculum in a comprehensive practice experience. Students are required to pass a comprehensive examination, the Practice Readiness Exam, prior to graduation.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) prepares students of all backgrounds to be productive, engaged, and socially responsible citizen-leaders of a global society. The University provides research, service and lifelong learning opportunities for its students, faculty, and other constituents. WKU enriches the quality of life for those within its reach.
Western Kentucky University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctorate degrees.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cultural Competency in Social Work Practice
- Group Dynamics in Social Work Practice
- Foundation Field Practicum I
- Generalist Social Work Practice
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Coaching Counselling View 355 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- 2.75 or greater GPA based on the last 60 hours of undergraduate and/or graduate semester credit hours prior to admission.
- A Western Kentucky University Master of Social Work program application, personal statement, and writing sample.
- Three completed WKU Master of Social Work program reference forms.
- Liberal arts background - at least 30 hours in liberal arts coursework (social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, communications, mathematics, etc.), including at least one course in sociology, psychology, OR anthropology AND at least one course in American government, political science, OR economics.
- Students at or above a 2.75 GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate and/or graduate semester credit hours (prior to admission) applying for the 60 hour Traditional Program
- An interview may be required.
International953 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 953 USD per credit during 12 months.
National917 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 917 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State607 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 607 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Bowling Green
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.