A student who has an undergraduate major in History may be permitted to take six to nine hours of graduate work in a related field in courses approved by the Graduate Advisor. A student at Western Kentucky University who presents an undergraduate minor in history must complete the entire program in the field of history.
Students should contact the History Graduate Advisor early in their programs for help in compiling a list of books and articles to study in preparation for the comprehensive exam. Students must pass the comprehensive exam (written and oral) over course work, bibliography, and (if Plan A) thesis.
Western Kentucky University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctorate degrees.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- General History
For more information please visit the program website.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory View 542 other Masters in History in United States
- Completion of at least 18 undergraduate credit-hours in history with a grade point average of at least 3.0 in history courses (on a 4.0 scale)
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- A GRE Verbal Reasoning section score of at least 500 (if taken before Aug. 2011) or 153 (if taken Aug. 2011 or later)
- Applicants must submit application and all supporting materials by June 1 (fall semester start) or November 15 (spring semester start)
- A brief (approximately 750 words) personal statement that discusses why they wish to pursue the Master of Arts degree in History;
- A sample research paper (at least five pages long).
International953 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 953 USD per credit during 12 months.
National917 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 917 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State607 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 607 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Bowling Green
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.