The curriculum of the Social Work program of The University of Akron is designed to prepare students for advanced level professional practice in Social Work. The program provides a rigorous intellectual base, an opportunity for effective skill development, and an educational perspective that views human diversity as desirable and enriching to society.
Why consider a degree in Social Work?
- Social workers help people solve personal and family problems, provide services to meet social needs, and restore social and emotional functioning.
- Employment is projected to increase 16% by 2026—a rate faster than the national average. For positions in the health care, mental health and substance abuse subfields, the rate is even higher, according to the US Department of Labor.
- The Social Work program provides the foundation of coursework and field experience necessary to sit for the licensure exam that is required for the profession.
What kind of jobs do graduates get?
- Graduates work in various settings such as mental health centers, child welfare agencies, health care centers, schools, governmental agencies, correctional settings, to name a few. Employers actively recruit our graduates because of their solid academic preparation and professional practice strengths.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Adult Day Care
- Special Topics: Social Work & Social Welfare
- Individual Investigations in Social Work
- Social Work Practice with Small Systems
- Social Work Practice with Large Systems
- Dynamics of Racism & Discrimination
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 447 other Masters in Social Work in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- Essay of three to five pages explaining:
- Why applicant wants to be a social worker
- Why a graduate degree in social work is necessary to fulfill professional/personal objectives
- Views on diversity in society
- A situation in which applicant was the recipient/provider of help, emotionally, socially, or economically, and how this impacted desire to pursue an advanced degree in social work
- Application Checklist
- Preferred Program Format Form
International22410 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 747 USD per credit during 12 months.
National22410 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 747 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State13260 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 442 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Akron
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.