If you want to study a Bachelor's or Master's degree in the US, you probably know that tuition fees are often more expensive when compared to other popular countries preferred by international students.
While this is true, it doesn't mean that you cannot find affordable universities and colleges in the US. There are academic institutions which manage to find the right balance between costs and quality and provide great value for money.
Based on data from the U.S. News, these are the most affordable American universities and colleges for international students:
- Brigham Young University-Provo
- Eastern New Mexico University
- Nicholls State University
- Bridgewater State University
- Minnesota State University-Moorhead
- Mississippi University for Women
- Southwest Minnesota State University
- Delta State University
- Bemidji State University
- Henderson State University
View the full list of the most affordable U.S. universities for international students.
How international students get the best value living in the U.S.
Looking at the universities on this list, you may notice that they aren’t in huge cities, nor are they among the big, prestigious, high-flying, Ivy League universities.
As USA Today reports, “These colleges may not be as big or as diverse as those on the east and west coasts, but many students enjoy the slower pace and the welcoming community they find. Because the schools are located in places in the country with a lower cost-of-living, the education experience tends to be much more affordable.”
Since colleges tend to be in smaller communities and students find themselves immersed in an area full of other students, there is not only an easier adjustment period, it also tends to be a lot cheaper.
Here are some things that ensure your university experience is affordable:
- Student dorms offer all-inclusive facilities for students, eliminating any need to pay for expensive rent and utilities
- College towns tend to be smaller, student-oriented places that allow you to get around easily by bicycle
- Students can often expect discounts at local restaurants and cafes, just for being a student!
- International students tend to have the highest tuition requirements, but many also have access to scholarships for studying in the U.S.
- If you’re someone who is bilingual, you may take advantage of the number of students who are seeking language tutors. Why not make some money with your language skills?
Learn more information about getting your hands on a U.S. student visa.
Don't forget about the online studies option
Choosing an online Master's can be a good option to save money. You basically skip the costs of living abroad, the hustle of getting the student visa and you usually get more affordable tuition fees. Check out a few good online universities you may want to consider:
You can also check out the Studyportals Scholarship to get some help on financing your studies abroad.