The USA stands out as an international higher education destination many students worldwide dream about. Many universities in the United States have a strong worldwide reputation, as lots of American universities are present in international rankings, from the top to the end.
Possibilities are almost endless if we consider the three-digit number of degree courses that many higher education institutions offer in their catalogues. Since many of the universities have tuition fees higher than the global country average, many have expectations that their education in the USA pays off through high salaries after graduation.
Find out the main reasons why you should consider studying in the U.S.
Here are the U.S. institutions and degree programmes with the highest financial potential after graduation. Over 1,000 have been analysed by PayScale in terms of salary perspectives for early and mid-career.
This is a study on the financial potential of universities, graduate schools, undergraduate degrees and Master studies from the USA. Before, you can also check the most popular undergraduate degrees in the U.S.
Universities and colleges in the U.S. with the best financial prospects:
1. SUNY - Maritime College
SUNY - Maritime College: An early-career salary is of 69,700 USD/year and it usually gets up to 144,000 USD/year after ten years. Around 65% of the employees who graduated this college say their work makes the world a better place.
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT): The alumni from MIT will work for 78,300 USD/year and may earn up to 134,000 USD/year, after a decade. Also, more than a half of them agree that their work has a positive influence on society. The university also offers them help in finding work that has a positive social impact.
3. Harvey Mudd College
Harvey Mudd College: The average salary after three years of work is 78,500 USD/year and, in time, it goes up to 131,000 USD/year. Around 63% of the employees enjoy their work.
4. Princeton University
Princeton University: Graduates of Princeton University have a starting salary of around 65,700 USD/year and will grow up to around 131,000 USD/year after at least eight years of work experience.
5. Stanford UniversityStanford University
: Alumni of the Ivy League university should expect a salary of 70,800 USD/year at the beginning of their career and it would lead up to 127,000 USD/year.
Bachelor's degrees with the highest salary potential
- Petroleum Engineering: 96,700 (early career salary) – 172,000 (mid-career salary) USD/year
- Systems Engineering: 66,400 – 121,000 USD/year
- Actuarial Science: 60,800 – 119,000 USD/year
- Chemical Engineering: 69,800 – 119,000 USD/year
- Electronics & Communications Engineering: 68,000 – 115,000 USD/year
Popular Engineering Master's degrees in the U.S.:
- Masters in General Engineering in the U.S.
- Masters in Materials Science in the U.S.
- Masters in Chemical Engineering in the U.S.
- Masters in Software Engineering in the U.S.
- Masters in Environmental Engineering in the U.S.
American graduate schools with the best financial prospects
- Harvard University – MBA degrees: 122,000 – 201,000 USD/year
- Emory University – Law Degrees: 65,900 – 195,000 USD/year
- University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) – Law Degrees: 80,200 – 193,000 USD/year
- Columbia University – MBA Degrees: 122,000 – 184,000 USD/year
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology – MBA Degrees: 128,000 183,000 USD/year
Top Master's degrees for students with high salary potential
- Nursing: 140,000 – 156,000 USD/year
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): 96,200 – 149,000 USD/year
- Chemical Engineering: 96,100 – 146, 000 USD/year
- Computer Science: 118,000 – 145,000 USD/year
- Electrical Engineering: 103,000 – 144,000 USD/year
These are the fields and universities that pay off the highest in the US. However, the main criterion for your university search should be the field that you’re interested in and the ultimate goal for pursuing a degree abroad and a building the steps towards a lifelong future career.