The MA Sound Arts Intensive and specialised, this programme at University of the Arts London (UAL) is designed to further the development of your conceptual and contextual understanding of sound art practice and its discourse.
You will be encouraged to adopt a personal and distinctive approach to your work in building your portfolio and be engaged in practical and theoretical research that develops your creative and critical competence to an advanced level.
The course includes a strong taught component combined with ample opportunities for practical work. You will be able to extend your portfolio within an academic context, engage in theoretical and practical research, develop your creative and critical skills, explore personal areas of interest in sound arts and engage in practice-based research.
The aim of the course is to facilitate individual practice and guide you towards a professional career as a sound artist or into research.
During the course you will have the opportunity to develop both your research profile and creative practice. Upon graduation there are a number of options. You may wish to apply for a research degree, or you might decide to work in the theatre, films, television, animation, games production or websites.
Some of our students work as freelance sound artists or musicians in a chosen area which could include performance, composition, sound art installation or curation. Others set up their own businesses.
- Practice-Based Research
- Contemporary Themes in Sound Arts Practice
- Project Development
- Curatorial Contexts for Sound Art
- Major Project
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 390 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- Honours degree in a relevant subject such as sound arts, fine art, film and video or other related fields, or a professional or academic qualification recognised as equivalent to an honours degree
- Possession of equivalent qualifications
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required, demonstrating relevant experience and an aptitude for film, television or other moving-image production subjects
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Personal statement
International22920 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22920 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
EU/EEA11220 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11220 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.